Usage question - subjunctive mood? (WAS: anyone looking for a writer?)

Tim Pann TPann at telecomsys.com
Sun Apr 7 14:53:41 PDT 2013

Probably six of one half dozen of the other. My understanding is that "were" is used to reference something that would not realistically happen, and "was" is for things that could happen from a practical standpoint. One would have to make assumptions about Art's true intentions to decide whether to change it. (I'm trying to resist the urge to use the common and unnecessary phrase, "I could be wrong," because of course I could.)

Plus I like to think of our language as more "evolving" than "devolving." It changes all the time and, although I'm no expert, I think many changes over the centuries have been the result of simplifying or vulgarizing. So, if it's devolving, it's been doing so for centuries.

Tim