OT: Looking for a technical writer for short projects - *not* a full- or part-time position

Syed Zaeem Hosain (Syed.Hosain@aeris.net) Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Apr 10 15:54:46 PDT 2013

If you are not in the SF Bay Area and are not available for contract technical writing work, please skip/delete this - thanks!

Hi, all.

We have an opportunity for some freelance technical writing projects. If anyone is interested, please e-mail me off-list:

1.      We need some technical white-papers written.

a.      Around 6 to 8 papers ... perhaps more in time.

b.      Each is probably 4 to 20 pages long, depending on the topic, format, etc.

c.      They could contain drawn graphics and stock images (if needed).

2.      The process we hope to use for each paper:

a.      At our office, meet and "Interview" (ask questions!) and audio-record information, as necessary.

                                                    i.     The SME (me!) has a habit of jumping up and scribbling on a white-board - take pictures! :)

b.      Go off and write the white-paper at home ... or your own office or ... wherever you work best.

c.      Send in review drafts (PDF?) - we would like to achieve the results in three (or less!) review sessions.

d.      Come in for face-to-face meetings if any are needed for clarification, additional info, review sessions, etc.

e.      Deliver the FrameMaker document (or InDesign if that is a better way to do it), along with PDF and HTML output.

Our assumptions:

1.      You are within driving distance of our offices in Santa Clara (next to Intel on Mission College Boulevard).

a.      I.e., there is no compensation for driving time.

2.      Preferably (but this could change), the actual writing would be done *outside* our offices.

a.      So, must have your own computer/laptop with FrameMaker 11 (and/or InDesign if it is used) and PDF/HTML tools.

3.      Be willing to consider "per-paper" compensation (i.e., not hours spent) - based on length, etc.

4.      Must meet pre-agreed deliverable schedules for each project.

a.      Agreed for each paper separately.

5.      Must use fonts that we have on our systems so that we can edit the documents later.

6.      Must create & use a template that we can re-use for future edits ourselves, if necessary.

7.      A good engineering background is preferred and/or prior writing experience with technical white-papers.

a.      Knowledge of cellular or wireless or telephony would be very nice!

Hope this is detailed enough information. If you are interested, please submit samples of your writing (ideally technical white-papers) for consideration. Please also estimate what you would charge for each sample (if it were on a "per-paper" compensation - Ah! The "Indicative vs. Subjunctive" discussion comes in handy! :)).

Thanks!