Selecting Colours for Conditions

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Mon Apr 22 04:32:43 PDT 2013

Alison Craig wrote:

> Does anyone know if any kind of "guide" exists regarding the best colours to choose
> when creating Conditions?
>
> When I initially set up my Conditions, I spent a lot of time testing to see how colours
> blended when I had multiple Conditions applied to the same text (lots of combos
> ended up being virtually identical onscreen even though the combination of
> underlying colours were quite different). It didn't make sense to use colours in the
> first place if I couldn't tell where one combo stopped and the next one started.

I used to have a couple of books with 20+ conditions. Too many to keep track of by color, so I switched to another strategy: I applied the same color to an entire group of conditions.
- all product type conditions were blue
- Comment etc. were red
This meant that the color would at least indicate which function a condition had, but not which condition it was exactly.

For now, you may be able to use text styles (under/overline) in combination with colors to keep them apart, but that too breaks down if you add too many conditions.

At that point, it becomes essential to have the Conditional Text dialog open at all times.

Harro de Jong
Triview