Generated list of variables

Thu Apr 25 21:29:17 PDT 2013

grant at hedgewizard.net wrote:

> Is there a way to generate a list of variables used in a book?
> I don't see anything in the native functionality.

It could be done with a script (FrameScript or ExtendScript). For a file, you could save it as MIF, open that in a text editor, and pull out the variable definition entries. They look like this:

<VariableFormat
  <VariableName `Copyright Date'>
  <VariableDef `2011-2012'>
 > # end of VariableFormat

If for some reason, your book has different variables in different component files, you could import the variables from each book file into a temporary file, and then save the temp file as MIF.

It also sounds like a good enhancement idea for the already very handy EZVars plugin (Electropubs.com).

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom