"very small pages" (WAS "Importing .swf files and creating pdfs")

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Tue Apr 30 21:02:26 PDT 2013

I've been meaning to ask about those "very small pages" for a year;
thanks Shlomo for bringing the subject up. Every once in awhile, I
have the "very small pages" problem when printing to PS via the PDF
driver  and distilling (opposite to Shlomo's Save as PDF occurrence
of the problem). It pops up out of nowhere; I'm happily printing
chapters in a book, I change NOTHING, and then whammo--I get
standard-sized pages with a small thumbnail-sized PDF in the middle
of each page. The ONLY remedy is to shut down FM, Distiller, and
Acrobat, open them all up again, and reprint to PS. I'm running FM11,
Acrobat 10, on Win7. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?
It sort of feels like a memory problem, but my system has, I think, 8
GB of RAM, so memory shouldn't be an issue. The problem occurs
independent of any particular file or book or distiller options. Let
me repeat--everything is printing fine and then suddenly printing
small with no change in ANY setting. I'm just curious--it is not a
show stopper, but it can get very annoying and time consuming.

Carol

At 11:00 AM 4/30/2013, Shlomo Perets wrote:
>Unrelated to interactive media, with FM8 or later "Save as PDF"
>works fine and I use it as the standard way to produce PDFs from FM.
>There are highly exceptional cases where "Save as PDF" fails (e.g.
>producing very small pages), and then switching to PS+distill is the
>workaround.

Carol J. Elkins---A Written Word LLC
Making Information Understandable
Phone: 719-948-3773