An interesting Mif2Go project - will this work?

John Sgammato john.sgammato at actifio.com
Fri Aug 2 05:57:56 PDT 2013

I am using FM11 unstructured with Mif2Go to populate a SalesForce
Knowledge knowledgebase. SalesForce Knowledge is a relatively new
offering from SaleForce, much better than their older knowledgebase
product. Ultimately this will involve hundreds of individual topics so
I want to automate as much of it as I can.
I have talked to Rick Quatro about this, but there are some other bits
where I'd appreciate some ideas.

To populate the knowledge base:
1. I must generate individual HTML files from the FM content and store
them in a single folder.
2. The SalesForce importer reads a .csv file to get location and other
info about the content.

The .CSV file looks like this:
isMasterLanguage,Title.File,datacategorygroup.Products,Channels,Language
1,Forcing Expiry of a Backup Image,/articles/en_US/doc/ab1101973.htm
PAS_51,sites,en_US
1,Restoring Selected Files,/articles/en_US/doc/ab1101043.htm,PAS_51,sites,en_US

For this release, I need only the procedures; conceptual information
can come in the future. (I have it, but I do not want to use it in the
knowledge base until I do some more development work on it.)

After I generate all the HTML files, I somehow need to get a list of
the filenames for the third column of the .csv, and I'd love a way to
get the Title of the topic into the second column.

My plan is to go through the 6 books that will get this treatment and
apply a new marker to all of the topics that I want for the knowledge
base.
I know how to set the HTML file title = that marker, but I am afraid
that in the end I will have many surplus files, and they will all have
autogenerated filenames like ab1101973.htm.

Is there a way to automatically set the output *filenames* to match
the titles? I understand it's a Bad Idea in case I have multiple files
with the same title, but I will be doing enough post-processing to
catch and fix that.

Is there a way to  get only the topics I want and ignore the other
content? I can start a new topic at every H1 and H2, and I can title
the ones I want from the markers, but in the end I will have a bunch
of files with near-identical filenames, right? Maybe I can send the
topics with the markers into a different folder?

I have some time to work on this, but not a lot - a major release will
be upon me next week.
I have a henchman in India who can help with the FM work, but he
doesn't know Mif2Go yet.

I appreciate any thoughts to set up a good, solid, reproducible
process for this.
--
John Sgammato
Documentation Architect
e john.sgammato at actifio.com
w +1-(508) 927-2083
    Recover anything instantly for up to 90% less than you're paying now.