Chapter numbers

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Tue Aug 13 03:05:15 PDT 2013

Alastair Dent wrote:

> I have documents that start with a tag called 'ChapTitle' and some that start
> with Heading1.
>
> The reference pages are set up so that pages with 'ChapTitle' on them will use
> the 'First' master page. This has a header with the chapter number in it. Pages
> starting with Heading1 are Right/Left and don't have a chapternumber
>
> Every file in the book is set to 'Continue Numbering from Previous Chapter in
> book'.
>
> The chapter numbers increment correctly.
>
> The document with a Heading1 tag should show the numbering '3.1'. It doesn't,
> it shows '4.1'.  The chapter number has incremented.
>
> Why is this?

It sounds like you've got two numbering systems going on. One uses <$Chapnum>, the other uses paragraph numbers instead.
You can influence the <$Chapnum> numbering with the Format-Document-Numbering dialog, tab 'Chapter'
You can influence the paragraph numbering with the Format-Document-Numbering dialog, tab 'Paragraph'.

Check the Numbering properties of the ChapTitle and the Heading1 paragraph tags. You should use the same numbering system in all para tags that have a paragraph number.

Harro de Jong