Hypertext links not working

Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com Dave.Stamm at gdc4s.com
Thu Aug 22 13:00:46 PDT 2013

2013-08-22-04T20:00Z

Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1
4 GB RAM
64-bit operating system
FrameMaker 11.0.2.384
FrameMaker installed on workstation
Folder and all files on a server on the local area network in accordance with corporate policy

I am unable to consistently encode hypertext links among five files in one unstructured book.

Here's how the files are arranged:

	NOTE:  The .book file and all the target files are "children" of folder \Abc_Def.  File BEGIN_HERE.fm is "sibling" of folder \Abc_Def and is to contain links to all four targets.

Folder \Abc_Def
	File dir_Abc_Def.book
	File targetA.fm
	File targetB.fm
	File targetC.fm
	File targetD.fm
File BEGIN_HERE.fm

I moved File BEGIN_HERE.fm out of folder \Abc_Def because a recipient of the informational product (portable document format files) wants it that way.  I am using a character tag to constrain both the newlinks and gotolinks to small amounts of text.  Before I moved file BEGIN_HERE.fm out of folder \Abc_Def, crossreferences among all files worked flawlessly.

My latest attempt has been to specify named destinations (for example, newlink dir_About.fm) and jumps to named destinations (for example, gotolink dir_About.fm).

In the source .fm files, these jumps work only a small part of the time.  In the deliverable .pdf files, they don't work at all.

Dave Stamm
Information Engineer