DITA conversion and cross-ref IDs

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Sun Dec 8 15:00:22 PST 2013

Hi Rebecca...

There are two things here that you need to take into account. First is
just getting cross-refs to remain linked up through the conversion
process from FM to XML. Second is to get those cross-refs to reference
the individual topic files that result from "shredding" the
chapter-based XML files into DITA topics (assuming that you're planning
on going to separate topics and not nested chapter-DITA files). Also
getting the xref/@href format correctly build can be tricky

Long ago I developed a plugin to handle all of this, and I've forgotten
how to do it without the plugin .. although it can be done (with lots of
scripting of various sorts). I recall that one thing to try is to import
a template into the FM files that reformats the cross-refs so they
include the Idref in the cross-ref text. Change the format so this is in
some delimiters to make it easy to locate .. perhaps "[[<Idref>]]".

Maybe someone can provide you with more useful info.  :o

<sales-pitch>

However .. what I'd suggest is that you download my FM2DITA plugin ..

     http://leximation.com/tools/info/fm2dita.php

Give it a try and see if it does what you need. If nothing else, it may
give you some tips on conversion table development and ideas for tools
that you can develop in-house. It's chock full of utilities that will
make your conversion process easier.

</sales-pitch>

Also .. there's Mif2Go which costs less and once you get things set up,
will basically "just work".

Remember that one of the reasons to use DITA is to leverage to tools
that already exist rather than needing to create your own. No need to
reinvent the wheel, right?

Cheers,

...scott