ExtendScript - how to open a file

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Wed Dec 18 06:12:14 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm trying to create my first ExtendScript to automate converting a batch of FM11 documents to FM10. The goal is to point the script to a folder, and have it convert all FM files in this folder.
I've cobbled together the following. I'm getting tripped up by the command to open a file (var doc = app.open(bestand);). I copied this from a Photoshop script, but it doesn't work in FrameMaker. The Extendscript IDE isn't very helpful, and the few FrameMaker examples I've found all work on the active document or book.
How do I open a file?

#target "framemaker"

var inputFolder = Folder.selectDialog("Input folder");
var outputFolder = Folder.selectDialog("Output folder");
var name, saveParams, i;

if (inputFolder != null && outputFolder != null) {
    var files = inputFolder.getFiles("*.fm");
    for (var i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
        var bestand = files[i];

        var doc = app.open(bestand);
        name = doc.Name;
                          saveParams = GetSaveDefaultParams();
                          returnParams = new PropVals();
                          i = GetPropIndex(saveParams, Constants.FS_FileType);
                          saveParams[i].propVal.ival =Constants.FV_SaveFmtBinary100;
                          doc.Save(name, saveParams, returnParams);
                          doc.Close(Constants.FF_CLOSE_MODIFIED);

     doc.close(SaveOptions.DONOTSAVECHANGES);
        $.writeln('File ' + (i + 1) + ' of ' + files.length + ' processed');
    }

}

Kind regards,
Harro de Jong