OT: Corrupt .docx file

Pat Christenson pxenson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:17:03 PST 2013

Hi -

Please excuse this OT post but the people on this list are so knowledgable. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a Word .docx file that won't open. I discovered that there's an XML- and equations-related bug (thanks, Microsoft!) that works like this: You open a .doc or .docx file,  build a lot of equations, save as .docx and close. When you try to re-open it, it won't open and you get a message saying "there's a problem with the content."

I've done a lot of research online and tried every converter and rebuilder I can find but nothing opens this. The client can't afford to have me redo the work.

Can anyone recommend someone who can get into this and fix the XML? Preferably, free or cheap.

Because this is OT, you may want to reply  offlist.

Thank you SO MUCH for any help.

Pat Christenson