OT: HTML Help Related Topics control and character

David Shaked david at almondweb.com
Wed Feb 13 11:41:15 PST 2013

> When you compiled the Arabic CHM, did you do it on an Arabic system?  NOT
just one with the
> locale set? That's what HTML Help requires for Search to work; always has.
Not just for
> Arabic, but for any other locale.

My experience is that it's OK to use English Windows when compiling a
localized CHM. I have not done Arabic, but I have done Hebrew (also an RTL
language), Russian, Greek, and Asian languages.

The critical aspect is to set the Windows system locale to the target
language. The system locale is an internal code page that Windows uses for
non-Unicode applications. It is different from the user locale, which
controls the date formats and so forth.

To set the system locale on Windows 7, open Control Panel > Clock, Language,
and Region > Region and Language > Administrative > Language for Non-Unicode
Programs. After you set the system locale, Windows prompts you to restart
the computer.

For more information, see:

http://wiki.webworks.com/DavidShaked/LocalizingWWePProjects

Most of the article is about WebWorks ePublisher, but I think the
information about the system locale is relevant to all tools.

David Shaked (Wernick)

AlmondWeb Ltd.
http://www.almondweb.com
Technical Documentation * Web Development * Word and WebWorks Consultants