"FrameMaker has detected a problem and must quit" Really?!

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Wed Feb 13 12:55:53 PST 2013

Now about those questions.

On 14/02/13 3:48 AM, Ken Poshedly wrote:

> So the questions:
>
>   * What do those internal error numbers specifically mean?

I have no idea and don't really want to know.

>   * Is/are the error/errors caused by a hardware problem or a software
>     problem?

Looking at the file sizes and the possibility of network latency issues:
1. FM is having problems with processing large chunks of data while the
user is persistently making changes.
2. I have had to work with larger files than those with embedded
graphics. I have witnessed issues on shared network drives where the
network has not been able to keep up with the demands of FM. Mostly,
this has caused a slow down and sometimes, for critical functions, crashes.
3. I have found that sometimes it is the graphics embedded that are
causing problems. For example, pdfs produced by printing Excel
spreadsheets can produce very large numbers of redundant anchor points
and very high resolution tiff/eps raster images with high bit-depth
(more than 1-bit).
4. In cases where there are persistent crashes, I have recommended
copying the shared files onto a local drive space that doesn't have to
be C drive. It can be any drive in which the computer has immediate
access to the data (not via a network.).

Thinking back on the comments from the helpdesker. It may be that this
is what was recommended.

There does not seem to be any issues with the computer set up, but of
course, I have no idea as to its configuration.

Alan

--
AlphaByte
PO Box 1941, Auckland