cannot generate PDF

Wed Feb 13 12:27:15 PST 2013

Harro de Jong wrote:

> This is an error in the Postscript code. There are a few things to check/try:
> 1. check page 17 and 18. Are there any Postscript, EPS, Illustrator or PDF
> objects on these pages? The problem could be caused by a corrupt image.
> 2. Choose another printer driver, then try creating the PDF again.

I agree with #1. Apply basic troubleshooting principles to isolate the source of the problem. Try printing just page 18 to PDF. Does it still fail? Remove the first graphic on page 18 and see if that solves the problem. If not, put it back and remove the second graphic. And so on.

I disagree with #2. Adobe PDF is the only printer instance that should be used to create PDFs, whether by using Save As PDF or printing to PDF.

In fact, the vast majority of the problems with Save As PDF that people have (at least since FM 7.2) are because their default printer is something other than Adobe PDF. That's why many of us use and recommend the SetPrint plugin from sundorne.com, which makes Adobe PDF your default printer in FM regardless of what you default printer is in Windows.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.