"FrameMaker has detected a problem and must quit" Really?!

Ken Poshedly poshedly at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 14 13:30:49 PST 2013

First, my thanks to all for your interest and participation in this matter.

Second, just to confirm that by "data file" I mean the book or chapter being
composed using FrameMaker. In our case, the FrameMaker program files are
installed on our respective desktop computers (I _hope_ that's the correct term,
ok?). The book and chapter files are located on a separate physical hard drive
which is one of my company's network drives. It's about a month old Western
Digital hard drive; specifically a "WD My Book Live Duo", Model WDBVHT0040JCH -
NAS Server - 4 terrabytes with hardly anything on it because we backed
everything onto another drive while this one was installed and have only moved
some stuff onto it.

Third, I know what I heard and I repeated it to the Adobe tech support rep. And
yes, he confirmed what I've stated here. FrameMaker 11 is such that the work
files (as I've described them above) should be on the same physical drive as the
FM 11 program files.

Fourth, my coworker has experienced no FM crashes since moving his work files to
his hard drive where his FM program files are also located. Also, his files now
seem to open and process far faster than before. Go figure. Maybe my FM 8.0
installation is more forgiving of some unknown cross-drive anomaly and my
coworker's FM 11.0 installation demands absolute perfection of all hardware and
software components. I don't know.

I'm sorry that there is so much disagreement, but as I also said, I will be glad
to provide this rep's name and e-mail address so any of you can follow up with
him on your own.

-- Ken in Atlanta