FM8 u/s: Conditional cross-refs

Helen Borrie helebor at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 20 14:02:11 PST 2013

At 10:37 a.m. 21/02/2013, rebecca officer wrote:
>Hi Helen
>
>Our books end up with thousands of hidden unresolved xrefs and they've never been a problem.
>
>If I'm reading this right, your TOC etc won't update, and you're blaming the hidden unresolved xrefs. Right?

Well...more like "assuming they're connected to the problem".

> I think the hidden unresolved xrefs probably aren't the problem. What evidence do you have that they are? Ie, exactly what errors does FM throw when you try and do the update?

Only the unresolved cross-refs...with links that go nowhere because the offending cross-refs are hidden.

>Generated files can be a pain for a whole bunch of reasons.

As I now find, for the first time ever.  At first, the TOC and the IDX files were giving unavailable font errors which I fixed by the recommended method.  The problem fonts (Courier and Times) aren't used in the book at all - they were inherited from the original templates and I've never been able to kill them.

One other angle on the conditions is that the setup was previously on 32-bit WinXP, whereas now it's on 64-bit Win 7 on upgraded hardware.  I haven't built the big book on this setup.

I think I'm just going to have to push on until I get a breakthrough.

Kia ora!
Helen