switch between 8.5x11 and A4 sized pages within the same book?

Roger Shuttleworth shuttie27 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:42:03 PST 2013

Hello All

While I agree about the use of two templates, there's a more
philosophical aspect to this that has not been mentioned. When we talk
about page size, we refer to the physical paper on which a document will
be printed. But a more important consideration from an aesthetic point
of view is the text block size. If you're one of those people who goes
for one-inch margins all round, this is not an issue. A typographical
purist, on the other hand, would want to consider all the dimensions on
the page: text block height and width (and therefore ratio), ratios of
margins to text block, placement of headers and footers, etc. In most
cases the right and left margins would be different, and so would the
top and bottom. (William Bringhurst's book "Elements of Typographical
Style" is a great resource for this.)

To do this properly you would indeed need to use two different templates
with different dimensions for all of these, in order to maintain
pleasing ratios. But you could do a pretty good job with a single
template if your text block size is well chosen. The few millimetres
difference between letter size and A4 when printed would not interfere
too much with the layout. And you would have none of the problems
associated with reflow of content between the two page sizes.

Just my 2c.

Roger Shuttleworth
London, Canada