Line numbering tables in FM11?

De Rosier, Edward Edward.DeRosier at anritsu.com
Mon Feb 25 12:09:16 PST 2013

Hi Tori,

You said:
>  Sooo... just popped $400 to upgrade to FM11, solely for the line
>  numbering.  However,  we're working on a set of engineering specs that
>  contains many huge tables, and Frame isn't numbering any lines in the
>  tables.
>
>  Is this just the way it works?  Or am I missing some setting that would
>  add line numbers corresponding to text in tables? This is a killer issue
>  for this project, and it Frame can't do it we'll have to resort back to
>  our previous method of putting hard-coded line numbers on the master
>  pages -- which client doesn't like because then every page has the same
>  numbers.

Your description of line numbering in tables did not describe how you are using those numbers.  My writing group uses a paragraph tag set that we named CellNumbered1 and CellNumbered.
We are on FrameMaker-9 with Windows-7.

The critical part of building of the Autonumber Format is as follows:

C:<n=1>.\t
and
C:<n+>.\t

I tested these just now with three successive tables.  I added CellNumbered1 to the top cell of a column and then added
CellNumbered to several cells below in the same column and in multiple columns within a table.

I continued the CellNumbered tag in the following table.

In the third table, I returned to the use of CellNumbered1 to the top cell of a column and CellNumbered to several cells below.

The numbering of the paragraphs was as expected whether the additional paragraphs were within a cell or in separate cells.  The numbering continued across tables and was restarted as expected.

If your requirements are different, perhaps you could give more details of your needs.

Ed DeRosier
Senior Technical Writer
Anritsu Company
Morgan Hill, California