Copy/paste of in-book xrefs

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 28 05:07:12 PST 2013

I think I might be trying to do something that I shouldn't, but I'm not sure.

I have a lot of new in-book xrefs to add, so I am finding the first such instance, setting up the xref, then copy/pasting it to all other required locations in the book. What I' actually doing is replacing a plain-text version of a heading with an xref to the heading, to ensure consistency.

What's happening is that I get no unresolved xrefs, but after I've closed the book files and then reopened them, many of the pasted copies of the xref have become unresolved (maybe those that were pasted into a different chapter to the one from which the original xref was copied, but I've not checked for this in detail). Bringing up the xref dialog on the unresolved xrefs just gives a pick list of xref markers within the current chapter.

Am I trying to do something FrameMaker doesn't support? I though I'd done this before and it had worked, but I can't swear to it.

FrameMaker 7 on Mac
--
Steve