PDF X3 problems (1 pdf attached)

Klaus Daube frame at daube.ch
Tue Jan 8 01:15:32 PST 2013

On 7 Jan 2013 at 8:20, Elchanan wrote:

> Klaus, I am interested in this topic, but I never saw Steve´s posts. Could he have replied only to you?

Elchanan, You are right, I got this information directly, not via the list. Hence I add it hereafter.

Klaus Daube

At 15:01 +0100 7/1/13, Klaus Daube wrote:

>Using the PDFX3 joboptions on an FM document is not possible using the
>Save as PDF route. For this format I need to print to PS and then
>distill. And it turns out that I must not check Create  Acrobat Data in
>the print dialogue (which is not available in the Save As PDF route).
>Otherwise I get lots of violations (see log below).
>
>Why is this? I'm not familiar with the requiremens of the X-process (use
>it on demand of print-shop).

Klaus, see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF/X> and linked references.

PDF/X-3 is a PDF standard for pre-press, so it disallows all sorts of
stuff that  is legal in other PDFs but which could mess up the print
process. Most likely if you tag a FrameMaker .ps file with 'Create Acrobat
data', you get named dests in the PDF (to act as bookmarks), which will
fail the X-3 compliance tests.

These PDF standards are a Good Thing, as, when used for pre-press, they go
a long way to ensuring that the print will look as you intend.

There's a list of the X-3 specs here:

<http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/pdfx-3>

Note point five: 'If there are annotations (sticky notes) in the PDF, they
should be located outside the bleed area.'

Dov is the expert here.
--
Steve
Hi Klaus

This paper (see attachement) came via one of the links I posted: tells you all you need to
know.

Best wishes
Docu + Design Daube; Schäracher 11; CH-8053 Zürich
Technical documentation & consultancy; On-line and paper
F: +41-44-422 86 25  E: ddd at daube.ch  W: www.daube.ch