Make files open in correct version

Thu Jan 10 12:43:37 PST 2013

Karen Robbins wrote:

> I recently moved from Frame 9 to 11. I updated several files in v11.
> However, when I double-click to open any of them, they attempt to open
> in v9, fail, and display this error message: "Although [file path and
> name] appears to be a FrameMaker document, it can't be opened with this
> release of the product." This happens even though v11 is open at the
> time.
> How can I convince these files that they're now v11 files--so I don't
> have to File -> Open -> Scroll -> Select -> Click "Open" for each one?

Well, if FM 11 is open, you can open them from within FM 11 (File > Open) instead of switching to Windows Explorer and trying to open them from there.

But if you want FM files to automatically open with FM 11, change the file association:

1) In Windows Explorer, right-click an FM file and select Properties.

2) In the Properties dialog box, on the General tab, click the Change button to the right of Opens with.

3) In the Open with dialog, select FrameMaker 11. If it's not listed, browse to the FM 11 installation folder and select FrameMaker.exe.

4) Make sure that Always use the selected program to open this kind of file is checked and click OK.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom