Updating older versions of Adobe fonts? Slightly off-topic, but related in a way!

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Fri Jan 18 17:14:09 PST 2013

Craig,

I will assume that the symptoms you are reporting are indeed occurring!

That being the case, it would appear that FrameMaker is simply not mapping the Type 1 Zapf Dingbats character positions to the proper positions in Adobe Pi, a Unicode-based OpenType CFF font. In the old Type 1 fonts, symbols simply replaced the standard ASCII glyphs for both mapping and keying. This is absolutely not true for Unicode-based symbol fonts; thus the need for glyph palettes. If I recall correctly, InDesign tackled this issue years ago by automatically remapping characters in certain key fonts such as Type 1 Symbol and Zapf Dingbats to Unicode within the document when "old" documents were opened and then did a hack to output with such fonts, the user none the wiser!

Any "correct" modern OpenType Zapf Dingbats font, regardless of source (including the OpenType version from Adobe) will have this same mapping issue. The only workaround which I specified before was to somehow get your hands on one of the old Type 1 Zapf Dingbat host based fonts that ship with Adobe PostScript printers.

Either you or the OP in this thread should report this issue as a bug in FrameMaker. If they map the font name "Zapf Dingbats" to "Adobe Pi" then they absolutely need to remap the characters formatted in Zapf Dingbats to their new Unicode value, either permanently in the FrameMaker document if the change is permanent or simply for display and print purposes. Fill out a bug form on Adobe's website.

            - Dov

[cid:image001.png at 01CDF59F.3A828590]

Dov Isaacs
Principal Scientist
Adobe Systems Incorporated

+1 408.536.2896 (tel)
+1 408.242.5161 (cell)
isaacs at adobe.com<mailto:isaacs at adobe.com>

345 Park Avenue
San Jose, CA  95110-2704 USA
http://www.adobe.com<http://www.adobe.com/>

Feel free to print this e-mail if your needs dictate hard copy.
There is no need to feel guilty about printing!
Paper is renewable and recyclable.

ISAACS-MOBILE.corp.adobe.com