Finding overrides in Framemaker files

Tue Jan 22 12:48:47 PST 2013

Tammy Van Boening wrote:

> Framemaker 10, all patched, Win 7, 64 bit.
> I have a Framemaker book that contains 8 chapter files. I know that overrides
> to paragraph styles in a file are marked with an asterisk in the Information
> Bar at the bottom of the file. I am producing OLH for a client using a 15 year
> old technology (Sun JavaHelp) and I don't have an option to change that right
> now. In the tool that I use, ePublisher, reports are generated including a
> Styles report that specifically lists all paragraph tags that have an override
> to them. This report, however, is not available for a Sun JavaHelp output for
> many reasons but I still need to be able to find overrides in the Framemaker
> source files. Is there a script that is available to do this, or is there a
> way to use FM's functionality that I am not aware of to do this?

In addition to Stuart's suggestion, I can recommend Silicon Prarie's very reasonable Paragraph Tools and Character Tools plugins for this and many other tasks (siliconprairiesoftware.com).

But if you're in a hurry and not afraid of removing all overrides in a file without regard for the consequences, do the following:

1) Ensure that you have a file whose pgf catalog (and anything else you want to "unify") has the definitions you want all the chapters to use.
2) In the book window, select all the chapters and select File > Import > Formats.
3) In the dialog box, set Import from Document to the file with the correct definitions and under Import and Update, select what you want to update.
4) Under While Updating, Remove, select Other Format/Layout Overrides and click Import.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.