Unavailable Fonts error

Thu Jan 24 08:05:53 PST 2013

Karen Robbins wrote:

> You are correct, that's just what it was--Times instances in the default
> tables. (I did the mif to find this out; there are no tables in the document
> itself.)

That's why I said to insert an instance of each table format.

> I already thought I'd have to do what you say... How annoying that I
> have to do this extra work to undo a presumptuous default.

It's not a _presumptuous_ default. When you create a table, each cell has to contain _some_ paragraph. And each paragraph has to use _some_ font. So defaults have to exist. You can change the default paragraphs and fonts that each table format uses as I described.

Or you can map the unavailable font to the replacement of your choice in the maker.ini file (and turn off Remember Missing Font Names in File > Preferences > General).

Or for a comprehensive, permanent solution, you can modify any and all format definitions to suit you (as well as which formats exist) in the behind-the-scenes template that FM uses when you create a new document without selecting a template ("Use Blank Paper"). It's named shellnew.fm, and it's located in the fminit subdirectory of your FM installation directory. Just open it, redefine everything as you like (including the defaults for the table formats), and save it. From then on, new docs will have exactly the formats, fonts, defaults, etc., that you want.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom