Frame > Word > Frame -- is there a way to do this w/o going nuts?

Tori Muir tmuir at spot-on-creative.com
Tue Jan 29 15:27:49 PST 2013

We've been maintaining a set of engineering specs for a client for >10
years. The documents are large, 300+ page multi-chapter books, with
header autonumbering that goes to 8 levels. About a year ago, client
requested we give them the Frame content for one spec in Word so they
could do some extensive edits. We did, and had not heard from them
since. They contacted us 2 weeks ago, asking us to reformat the
document. They'd compiled all the chapters into one 450-page Word doc
and done 2-3 major revisions over the last year, all editing done by
engineers and other folks with no expertise in long-document work.  It's
a bit of a mess.

Now they want us to re-convert it into Frame. What would the recommended
workflow be? We want to do this as cost-efficiently as possible for the
client, but also keep our Frame template pristine and the data clean.

- We tried opening the Word doc (and  sub-sections thereof) in Frame
(v9), but Frame crashes.

- We have saved selected chunks of the Word doc to RTF and imported to
Frame. On the plus side, paragraph formatting comes in OK, and tables
are tables (there are a bazillion tables). On the minus side, paragraphs
with TOC references get split into two, one empty one with the reference
marker, then one with the text. This is a significant issue in a manual
whose TOC includes all 8 levels of the aforementioned autonumbered
headers. Plus the dreaded missing-font message occurs, and I hate trying
to track that down. And I'm a bit uneasy about corrupted cross
references and other metadata that have been round-tripped thru Word,
had bad experiences with that.

- We can also just blow the Word file out to plain text and reformat.
Painful, but our Frame template remains clean that way. Or maybe a
hybrid approach where we RTF the Word document, then use that to copy
tables from (formatting them is time-consuming), and import the rest as
plain text...

Recommendations?

Tori Muir
tmuir at spot-on-creative.com | 650.430.8674