Special character: punctuation space

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Jul 2 08:16:24 PDT 2013

On 2013-Jul-01 4:48 PM, Mike Wickham wrote:
> First, if you haven't already, you need to turn on the unicode keypad.
> It's turned off in Windows by default. Use regedit to find the key
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Input Method". Right-click on it,
> choose New and then String to create a new string called
> "EnableHexNumpad" with a value of "1". (Don't type the quotes.)
> REBOOT. Don't forget to reboot!
>
> Now, you will be able to type unicode characters by holding down the
> left-alt key and simultaneously pressing the plus sign on the keypad,
> and then (while still holding down the left-alt key) enter the unicode
> character. Then release the left-alt key.  (Note that the right-alt
> key does not work for this.)
>
> So, for your example you would hold down your Left-Alt key, and then
> (simultaneously) on the numeric pad:
>     press +
>     press 2
>     press 0
>     press 0
>     press 8
> and then release the Alt key.  Some Unicode characters have the hex
> letters a to f in them. Simply enter them from the main keyboard
> (while still holding down the Left-Alt key).
>
> PLEASE NOTE that the punctuation space that you want to enter will
> ONLY appear if the font you are using contains it as a defined
> character. (Most fonts do not.)
>
> Mike Wickham

There's also this, which I haven't tested:
http://www.fileformat.info/tool/unicodeinput/index.htm

and this, which I have used a fair amount:
http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

BabelMap is useful because it does show the existence (or not) of
particular glyphs in a font. FM's character palette lies to you, by
substituting from a different font when it encounters glyphs lacking in
the font you're using. And it doesn't bother telling you about the
substitution.

s.

--
Stuart Rogers