DITA/docbook vs your own schema

Writer generic668 at yahoo.ca
Mon Jul 8 16:37:06 PDT 2013

And unless you're very clever, it's easy to paint yourself into a corner with an in-house system. It might be "simple" to develop something for what your needs are now, but you neglect to make it open-ended or scalable for whatever changes you need to make in the future.

And then there's portability...

Nadine

      usually non-trivial to create from scratch, especially if you are
      publishing to multiple output formats, using filtering, content
      re-use, etc.

>I'll mention with some regret that FrameMaker's DocBook support is
      pretty poor. I've never figured out why...the "typical" use cases
      for both (books, PDF) line up very well. It may be a
      chicken-and-egg issue...I suspect more people would use DocBook if
      FrameMaker provided better DocBook support.