DITA/docbook vs your own schema

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 8 16:09:11 PDT 2013

Okay, I'll start from the assumption that DITA or Docbook as standards are
the way to go if you don't want to spend all kinds of time and money on
development. Of course changing to DITA or Docbook will cost time and money,
too. Just less of both.

So which: DITA or Docbook

DITA is much more restrictive. The topics are formed from a very finite set
of elements which your crew can learn to use adroitly with a little study
and practice.  Docbook has everything plus the kitchen sink thrown in as
elements because it is meant to do, well, just about everything. For my
money DITA makes a lot more sense, but your writers have to understand the
conceptual framework and work within that relative simplicity. Don't imagine
that you can do things like four levels of nested lists. Docbook, by
contrast, let's you do just about anything you've been doing in unstructured
FrameMaker, you just have to learn which of the many many elements lets you
go ahead and do that.

For my money, DITA is the way to go .

Craig