Setting up files for structured use

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 10:23:18 PDT 2013

Hi Dave...

I haven't followed this thread closely, but I have to say that is VERY unusual that there would be a problem with Maker faithfully reading the read/write rules file.  If that's what's happening, then there must be an error in your installation and/or setup of the configuration files.  Likewise, if you're talking about the application definition files, that's a similar issue -- once you configure things right, it's hard to imagine any inconsistencies in how Maker reads in the app definitions.

That said, I do feel your pain -- an XML application is pretty convoluted for any product.  FrameMaker has its own foibles in this department.  But again, once you get it all straight and working, you should get very consistent results.

I'll also say that if PDF output is a requirement for you, nothing beats FrameMaker DITA (or whatever XML) to PDF.  As for editing XML, I'm currently using Maker in a DITA work flow, and have no problems.

Whichever way you go, hang in there!!!

cud

Dave Stamm said:
Thanks so much for the info.  I'll check it out.  The problem of
FrameMaker's not faithfully reading the "rules" file, wherever it is,
looks like a deal breaker that, I'm sorry to say, gives me pause about
continuing using FrameMaker.  There's just so much "pressure" to use
other XML editor computer programs . . ..