Setting up files for structured use

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 17:52:46 PDT 2013

Reinstalling completely to fix the maker.ini files seems a bit like
overkill. When editing the maker.ini file it is a good idea to make a copy
in the same location. I name the copy maker.ini.ORIG, so I can use that to
get back to the original settings if they are needed.

This use of two structapps (local and global) files started with FM10.

There's a discussion about the use of a network drive for common structure
files in one of the Adobe webinars.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=set_registered&id=2243297
&loc=en_us

The relevant comments begin about 11:15 into the webinar.

The one you edit by using you choose Structure Tools > Edit Application
Definitions is the local one. When you edit that file, save it and then do a
Read Application Definitions (to allow your application to use the new
definitions) everything is okay and you can use your new application.
However...

The global file is not affected by these edits. Next time you start FM and
it reads from the global file, your new application definition will not be
there. You have to copy the application definition in your local file into
the global file.  Your problem with RW file not being seen may simply be a
result of that. The discussion of the structure app file is at about 18:00
in the webinar.

Craig

----- snipped -----

With Fm11, there are now 2 copies of the maker.ini (userdata directory and
install directory) and 2 copies of the structapps file (local and global,
both available from the Structure menu in Fm11), and I'm betting you're
getting snarled in the combinations of these files.