Font issues

Mike Wickham info at mikewickham.com
Thu Jul 18 20:42:28 PDT 2013

The font is different in those two samples, and neither one of them
appears to be Times New Roman.

So check to be sure you are using the font that you think you are. Also,
make sure that Adobe PDF is set as your default printer when working in
FM, or the PDF output may not match what you see in FM. The print driver
can affect the fonts available. The free SetPrint utility will set Adobe
PDF as the default printer, without altering the default for any other
Windows programs. (http://sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm)

Make sure your font is actually installed on your computer. If you have
a printer besides Adobe PDF set as the default in FM, then FM can see
and use its "printer resident" fonts-- that is, fonts that are
hard-wired inside the printer and available for printing _on that
printer_, but not necessarily installed on the computer where they would
be available to embed in a PDF. If the font isn't actually installed on
the computer-- usually in the \windows\fonts folder-- the PDF will be
forced to substitute with something else.

Make sure your font is set to embed in the PDF. If you have Acrobat, you
use Acrobat Distiller to do this, editing the appropriate settings file.
The High Quality Print settings file has all fonts set to embed, unless
someone altered it.

You also might trying printing to the Adobe PDF virtual printer, rather
than using Save as PDF. You didn't mention which FrameMaker version you
have, but Save as PDF was highly unreliable in older versions-- so much
so that all the gurus warned to avoid it.

Anyway, those are some starting places to look.

Mike Wickham