Structured FM font issue ; char tag applied but format is not being applied WAS: Can't enter alpha character in text

Craig Ede craigede at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 19 15:28:31 PDT 2013

This might be the perfect time for this question:

In a structured xml document we've defined an element called <uni> that is used to contain glyphs that are known to exist in Arial Unicode MS. Most of the rest of the document text is in Arial. We have the <uni> element mapping to a character tag called unicodeFont that is defined to change the font family to Arial Unicode MS and set the Weight and Variation as Regular.

When the xml is brought into Framemaker, all the <uni> elements end up as Arial, many of which then show as question marks, yet they are tagged with the correct character format. If we select one and change the family to Arial Unicode MS and update all, all the characters become what we expect.

If anyone can explain why these are not coming in as Arial Unicode MS as they should, I would greatly appreciate it. Our italics formatting uses the same strategy, and it works. Why would the Font Family be different.

Thanks.

Craig