"Do not use the Courier(r) font when Adobe Type Manager(r) is turned off"

Wed Jul 24 13:15:29 PDT 2013

Davis, David wrote:

> Not wanting to bombard the list with minutiae, but there are some quite odd
> things buried in the Frame help files that look like they've been there since
> the 1990s -
> E.g. in "Home / Using FrameMaker 11 / Templates and Page Layout / Formats >
> Fonts" I found this little oddball:
>
> - "Do not use the Courier(r) font when Adobe Type Manager(r) is turned off or not
> installed. If you do use Courier without ATM, FrameMaker products do not
> accurately display the Courier font."
>
> Lol what on earth is that about? Adobe Type Manager hasn't been needed for
> working with PostScript Type1 fonts since Windows 2000!

Yeah, ATM has been obsolete for quite some time. The statement is at best sadly out of date (and I suspect it was only ever partially true). Furthermore, Courier is not and has never been a registered trademark. The Courier typeface was created for IBM, which chose not to legally protect either the name or the design. Anyone can use the Courier name and design.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom