Adding structured files into a book yields the wrong order in the structure

Simon BUCH simon.buch at m-ais.com
Fri Jul 26 07:02:02 PDT 2013

Dear Framers,

I've been having a problem with adding FrameMaker structured documents
into a structured book, and I wonder if any of you guys have experienced
the same or similar effect.

FWIW, I'm using FrameMaker 10, running on Windows7 - both with the
latest patches installed.

If I select a range of documents in an explorer window, and drag the
documents inside the book file, I appear to be able to get the whole
structure of the document messed up.  I've attached a screenshot of the
effect - where I dragged the files to be after the ENR_3_3_en.fm
document, and before the ENR_3_4_en.fm document.

The book file appears to have the documents in the correct order
ENR_3_3_en.fm, followed by ENR_3_3_1_en.fm, ENR_3_3_2_en.fm,
ENR_3_3_3_en.fm, etc. but the structure view shows that they are located
/after/ the ENR_3_5_en.fm document!  It gets even stranger when I
noticed that the ENR_3_4_en.fm, ENR_3_5_en.fm, and ENR_3_6_en.fm - which
/were/ in the correct order /before /the drag-drop function, are somehow
reversed.

If I try rearranging some of the files in the structure view window, I
have seen FrameMaker crash a few times.

I managed to add the files in the correct order by:
a. move the insertion pointer in the structure view
b. select the FrameMaker Add > Files... menu item
c. In the "Add Files to book" dialog, with the "details" being shown:
      reserve the Name sort order in the Windows dialog, so it shows Z -
A ordering
d. select the second file in the reversed order [e.g. the "y" file]
e. shift-select the last file in the reversed order [e.g. the "a" file]
f. control-select the first file in the reversed order [e.g. the "z" file]
... but even with this, I found that FrameMaker added the files into the
book 2 elements /after/ where I had moved the insertion pointer.

Has anyone else observed these behaviours before?

// Simon BUCH -- M-AIS
// [still working with FrameMaker after all these years]