FM and Distiller distort Visio drawing

Roman Banks banks_roman at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 08:55:26 PDT 2013

Hi everybody,

I have a simple Visio drawing containing basic Visio shapes (e.g., a rectangle with a green background). I inserted a PNG (an icon with a transparent background) via Insert-->Picture-->From File and put it on top of the rectangle. So far, everything looked perfect. However, when I embedded the Visio drawing in Framemaker (without resizing), the icon became fuzzy and distorted. When I opened the Visio from Framemaker - everything looked fine again, but when I closed it, the icon had a stroke ;-). I wasn't too concerned with that as I've seen many times that Framemaker distorts images, but when converted to PDF, they look OK again. However, it wasn't the case this time.

When I converted the FM file to PDF (File --> Save as PDF), the icon itself looked OK, BUT it was surrounded by a white background! In the Distiller settings, I deselected the "CMYK to RGB" option, and generated the PDF again -- the white background disappeared, but the icon looked fuzzy and distorted as in Framemaker.

Do you have any ideas what makes FM and Distiller distort the drawing, and how to solve this problem?

TIA!!!
Roman