FM and Distiller distort Visio drawing

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 3 12:41:09 PDT 2013

At 08:55 -0700 3/6/13, Roman Banks wrote:

>Do you have any ideas what makes FM and Distiller distort the drawing, and how to solve this problem?

Roman - it might not be FrameMaker. You mention PNG. PNG is (presumably) created via an export filter from Visio. Historically, we have had endless problems with Visio export filters to 'foreign' (i.e. non-Microsoft) formats producing non-faithful reproductions of images that look correct in Visio. So my suggestion is to first check that your graphic is not being distorted by the export process from Visio before you start looking for problems in the FrameMaker/Distiller/PDF domain. I cannot for sure state that this is the problem in your case, but you should check if first before looking for issues outside of Visio.

You also mention FrameMaker's 'Save as PDF' feature. This also, historically, has been a cause of problems, although they may have been fixed in your version of FrameMaker (which you don't mention). So I suggest you also try saving to .ps and distilling separately, if you have a full version of Acrobat.

--
Steve