Converting Older Frame Files to Frame 10: Cannot Lock File Error Message

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 10:18:33 PDT 2013

> > I tried changing permissions on all the files, which appeared to be successful
> > since they no longer indicate that they are read-only and the security
> > settings have grey checkmarks indicating I have write permissions. After
> > changing permissions, the error message no longer comes up, but I still can't
> > edit the files and do not have access to the Save As command. But clearly,
> > some setting in the old Frame file is prohibiting me from editing the file.  I
> > can print a PDF file, and then use Acrobat to save it into a Word file, but
> > this is a very roundabout way to get these files into Frame 10.
>
> Changing permissions on the files doesn't change the permissions on the directory in which they reside. It's possible that you don't have write permission for that directory. Or you're out of available space. Did you try copying/saving other files to the same network location? What you've described may well have nothing to do with FM.

Another thing that occurs to me is that you may have the "network file locking" feature turned on in FrameMaker, but are unable (or not allowed) to create the .lck files in the same directory as the FM files. This would explain why FrameMaker is complaining about being unable to *lock* the file and warning you that someone else might be making changes at the same time. Look in the Preferences property sheet to see if network file locking is enabled, and try disabling it if it is currently enabled.

-Fred Ridder