Why won't FrameMaker use the default attribute I set in the EDD?

Heather Thomas hthomas at avbasesystems.com
Tue Jun 11 12:19:12 PDT 2013

Thank you, Nadine and Scott, for your replies.

Nadine: I am using FM 11 (sorry I didn't specify in my first post). Yes, I want to change the default alignment of images. I did change the default setting in the EDD and then import the element definitions into my template. I know that the EDD was imported because when I set choices vs. string, I could see the choices in the Attributes pod. What I'm asking is why FrameMaker is ignoring the default of left that I set and leaving it as <no value>, but instead is making it center aligned when I save. What's especially mysterious is that it actually says at the bottom of the Attributes pod "align Type: Optional Choice Default: left" but doesn't use that default value.

Scott: Thanks for your suggestion to "use the default image properties dialog. Don't try setting the element attribute." I happily excused your unexpected brevity because you sent your message from your phone. :) Perhaps sometime when you are at your computer, could you please elaborate on this? I can't find the dialog you mentioned, and if this is actually a bug that I can't set the element attribute using my EDD, then I would like to report it. I have read your response on the following Adobe forum post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3681019. Like the original poster there, the Anchored Frame dialog works properly for me. Manually setting the attribute to left does what I would expect as well. I have also ensured that I have the following in my rules:
attribute "align" {

    is fm attribute "align";

    is fm property alignment;

    value "left" is fm property value align left;Like I said before, it's not critical or anything, but it would be nice if we could set the default alignment in the EDD and have FM obey it.

Thanks again!
Heather

PS - Please note that there is a delay of at least 24 hours from the time I post to the time my message appears on the list.