Crop marks on PDF

Carol J. Elkins celkins at awrittenword.com
Thu Jun 20 09:31:36 PDT 2013

Thanks, Harro. I'm using Acrobat XI, which is TOTALLY different than
Acrobat X. However, I did locate the Set Page Boxes tool in Acrobat
XI. I had to define a new custom Tool Set to get access to the tools
in the Print Production Toolset; I could NOT figure out how to
display the already defined tool set. Thanks, Acrobat, for making a
simple task so very much harder.

Setting the page size to 8.5 x 11 did nothing in my Acrobat
application. That was my problem. However, Rick Quatro tested this on
his system and it worked fine. (Thanks, Rick!) So I went back into
the Framemaker 11 file to see if I could fix something there. My
mistake was trying to control page size in the Job Options. That DOES
work if all you want is a correctly sized PDF file. But you can't set
crop marks on it or resize its page size. Here is what finally worked:

1) In Framemaker, select Print Setup. You MUST define a PDF paper
size here that matches the paper size that you defined in Framemaker.
(For me, this was 4x5.7.) You do this in two places in the Print
Setup dialog box:

a) Select Name-Adobe PDF and click Properties. Click the dropdown
arrow next to PDF Page Size. If the desired page size isn't in this
list, you must add a new custom page size. Click Add and define the
new page size. Return to the Print Setup window.

b) In the Print Setup window, click the dropdown arrow in the
Paper|Size area. Select the paper size you defined in Step a.

2) Print to PDF. The result will be a correctly sized PDF file.

3) To add crop marks, in Acrobat, figure out how to get the Print
Production Toolset visible. This will be easy in Acrobat X and very
difficult in Acrobat XI. From the Print Production Toolset,

a) Select the Set Page Boxes tool. Define an 8.5 x 11 page size and
apply to ALL pages.

b) Select the Add Printer Marks tool. Select which marks you want to
apply, and apply to ALL pages.

I hope this helps someone else out. It is virtually impossible to
find this written anywhere in Acrobat's  Help system for Acrobat XI
or for Framemaker 11.

Carol

Carol