The Problem with Long Titles in Generated Lists

Thornton, Daniel Daniel.Thornton at compuware.com
Wed Jun 19 12:01:20 PDT 2013

We had never been able to solve the problem with bad TOC line wrapping until Shlomo Perets posted the solution here last year:

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:47:09 +0200
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 at microtype.com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert at lauriston.com>
Cc: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Re: trick for wrapping headings in TOC?

Robert,

You wrote:

>TOC paragraph tags in this project have a single Right tab stop at the
>right margin.
>
>If a heading is just the wrong length, only the page number is bumped
>the next line and appears at the left margin. If it's enough longer
>that a word wraps to the next line, the page number is at the right
>place.
>
>Is there a fix for this other than the kludge of putting a non-breaking
>space between the last two words of the heading?
>
>foo . . . . . . . . . . 1
>bar bar bar bar bar
>2
>bar bar bar bar bar
>  bar . . . . . . . . . 3

For the TOC paragraph tags:
Specify a value such as 200% for Minimum Word Spacing (Pgf Designer, Advanced tab); make it higher or lower to adjust the "wrap region" as needed.

In the TOC reference page, TOC flow:
Specify an additional tab between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>, eg <$paratext>\t\t<$pagenum>
(note: I prefer using \t instead of the Tab character as it is always visible; the tab itself is used on the body page and may not be interpreted  properly in the Ref page anyway because of the different column width)

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Message: 3