Frame versus XSL-FO

Scott Prentice sp10 at leximation.com
Fri Mar 1 11:37:53 PST 2013

Hi Ed...

Yes .. the cost is definitely related to the complexity. If you have FO
developers in-house, that will help a lot. The key is that you need a
solid understanding of XSLT, plus you need to fully understand page
layout concepts, and on top of that the FO language itself is huge and
complex. If you want to learn FO, I highly recommend finding a way to
take Ken Holman's class "Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO" (see
http://www.cranesoftwrights.com/). This will give you a good solid base
from which to start.

A lot of XSLT developers think that they can also do FO development.
That's where you run into trouble. There's a lot more involved.

However .. regardless of your ability to create and maintain FO
stylesheets, you can never achieve the same level of formatting with FO
that you get from FM. You can get close, and if close is good enough
(along with other benefits of FO), then FO can be a good solution.

Cheers,

...scott