Chunking FM files into Topics for RH

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Fri Mar 1 13:13:08 PST 2013

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 12:08:25 -0600 (CST), Nancy
Allison <maker at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi, Jeremy. With regard to selecting only some
>text from a lengthy .fm file to turn into .html
>files, how does mif2go offer better control?

By making that selection very simple, and
providing a way to apply it automatically to
many files without repeating it for them.

>I assume I would still need to indicate heading
>level at which to split the .fm files,

Yes; the telepathic interface isn't ready yet.  ;-)
But there are many ways to specify where to
split, and the simplest is by format, as in:

[HTMLStyles]
HeadTitle=Split Title Contents
Heading1=Split Title Contents
Heading2=Split Title Contents
Heading3=Split Title Contents

The User's Guide, par. 18.2.1, "Designating
split points", lays out all the methods.  You
can do some in the ini file with a simple text
editor, and the rest in Frame.  No other UI.

>and conditional text to mask unwanted text.

That's the usual method whn single-sourcing.
You can choose which conditional text to show
either by automatically importing a template
that affects *only* the conversion, not your
source files, or with Mif2Go settings, as in
par. 5.4.1, "Applying condition Show/Hide
settings".  Way simpler than the RH GUI.

>Does mif2go make either of those actions unnecessary?

No, of course not; it just makes them a lot
easier to do, automatically, very quickly,
while producing extremely clean HTML.

  <jeremy at omsys.com>    http://mif2go.com/