Save as PDF hangs FrameMaker 11, with PDF cover art

Shelly Schneider shelly at softest.com
Tue Mar 5 20:56:12 PST 2013

I have cover art using a PDF file. The cover bleeds on all edges. I have
been using this from at least Frame 7 up through Frame 10, with no issues.
My company purchased FrameMaker 11 and Acrobat Pro 11 for a new 64 bit
computer.  Frame hangs when I try to Save as PDF or  print to .ps using the
Adobe PDF printer, both with the latest updates.  A one-page frame file with
just the cover will hang. Other, smaller  pdfs sprinkled throughout my docs
cause no problems. If I replace the cover art with a jpg or png file, I can
make a pdf, but the quality is not the same.

I reported this to Adobe support, and they worked with me for a while, but
they were unable to reproduce the problem, so that was no help. Has anyone
else had this problem and found a solution that won't require me to replace
the cover art in all my docs?

I finally found that I can save the cover art as eps with a preview, and get
an excellent quality pdf using the eps art. Yay! And the preview prevents
Frame from displaying eps files as those off-putting gray boxes, so I'll use
that if necessary.

Thank you!!

Shelly Schneider