OT: FM and InDesign

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Wed Mar 6 16:13:02 PST 2013

Hello Alison,

I don't know of any direct way of importing or
converting within the Adobe products.

But I recently converted some
FrameMaker mif files to Indesign with the "Mif Filter"-plugin for
Indesign (by dtptools).

After installing the plugin, mifs will be
visible in the Indesign "open file" dialog and can be opened (but not
saved or otherwise exported), allowing to test the plugin resp. the
files for suitability. If you want to convert, i.e. if you want to save
as Indesign file(s), you have to buy credits on a per-page basis.

There are some limitations due to conceptual differences between
FrameMaker and Indesign layouts, but I found it extremely useful, so you
should give it a try.

Make sure you are not using to many local format
overrides because each of these will produce new formats like eg.
body001, body002, ...
So it pays off to prepare the FrameMaker files
thoroughly.

More informations: -->
http://www.dtptools.com/product.asp?id=mfid&more=features

Best regards
-

Tino H. Haida, Berlin (Germany)

Alison Craig:

> I don't use
InDesign at all, so can someone tell me if it's possible to open FM9
files in InDesign?

> I'm hoping as they're both Adobe products,
there's some kind of support.