FrameMaker-specific preflight problem

Matt Sullivan matt at mattrsullivan.com
Tue Mar 12 11:22:28 PDT 2013

For all practical purposes, AI=PDF=AI, so I doubt that's the issue.

I used to have 4/c issues with PS-generated drop shadows, so it wasn't too much of a stretch to think that was the problem. Is the d/s an effect, or a filter? Filters will likely give you more control and less problems.

You should be able to set the color of the d/s in the filter dialog box. I would expect that to create a black-only d/s that causes you less grief.

Regardless of what you're trying to create, is your Illustrator file set up for the Print intent or the other choice (maybe Video, or similar label). If set to Print, your colors will be represented in CMYK, but in the other, you'll get converted RGB values.

I know that probably sounds ominous and cryptic, but it should give you some clues as to what you are seeing.

For more detail see Publishing Fundamentals: Unstructured FrameMaker 11 (amazon.com) on page 457, Controlling Colors for Output

-Matt

Matt Sullivan
technical communication | online training | eLearning

twitter: @mattrsullivan
phone: 714 960-6840