Cursor key navigation in tables

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Sat Mar 16 08:42:58 PDT 2013

Hi Rick,

I checked with my FM 8 and FM 9 installations - table
navigation was "OFF".

Your suggestion is to add:

<Modify
MoveIPToCellAtRight <KeySequence /Right >>
<Modify MoveIPToCellAtLeft
<KeySequence /Left >>
<Modify MoveIPToCellAbove <KeySequence /Up

<Modify MoveIPToCellBelow <KeySequence /Down >>

In FM 8, I had a
modification installed (Shlomo Perets' toolbar). I added these 4 lines
to the existing "custumui.cfg" => table navigation via key arrows is now
ON!

In FM 9 there was no "customui.cfg", so I created this file with
these 4 lines as the only content => table navigation is now ON!

So
everything's fine and working in these older FM-versions. Thank you!

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

> Hi Fred,

specifically tested the four I modified with FrameMaker 10 and they
worked. I don't have 9 anymore so I can't test it with 9. Send me the
modify sequences you tried and I will test them. It could be a problem
specific to 9, but maybe the syntax isn't exactly right. Thanks.

Rick

> FROM: Fred Ridder [mailto:docudoc at hotmail.com]
> SENT:
Saturday, March 16, 2013 12:11 AM
syed.hosain at aeris.net; alison.craig at ultrasonix.com;
framers at lists.frameusers.com
> SUBJECT: RE: Cursor key navigation in
tables

> Thanks Rick and Syed.
>
> In my poking around earlier
today, I did find these commands in cmds.cfg and tried to reassign the
MoveIPToCellAbove and ...CellBelow commands to more convenient shortcut
keys. But whether I left them alone, changed the <KeySequence >
definition, or added a <Modify > command, those two MoveIP commands
refuse to do anything. ...CellAtLeft and ...CellAtRight both work, as do
MoveIPUpAndSelectText and MoveIPDownAndSelectText, but not the two
commands I specifically want to use. I suppose I'll just have to use the
move and select commands, because at least it's better than having to
reach for the mouse every damn time.

> What's frustrating is that I
*know* these commands worked in FM5.5.6, 6.0, 7.x and 8.0. Chalk up one
mlore feature that got broken and never fixed when Adobe saw fit to
impose their stupid and inconvenient (and buggy...) UI on us with
version 9.0. Sigh...

> I suppose I *should* report this bug to Adobe,
but every time I have done it in the past has been an exercise in
ultimate frustration. Every time it has taken me between one and two
hours to accomplish something that should have taken 10-15 minutes. And
ever since software development and maintenance was moved to Bangalore,
the only response I have ever gotten to a reported bug was that "we
fixed the software to make it work the way it was supposed to work".
Never mind that the new behavior was illogical and inconsistent with how
other similar features worked, the mere fact that FrameMaker now behaved
differently meant that a whole flock of my carefully designed procedures
and processes no longer worked. I might have chalked it up to job
security, but my employer (by acquisition...) chose to shut down their
operation here in New Jersey. But that's a story for another day...

Thanks for your efforts, guys.

rick at rickquatro.com
Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com; docudoc at hotmail.com;
framers at lists.frameusers.com
>> Subject: RE: Cursor key navigation in
tables
>> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 22:04:34 -0400
>>
>> Open the
FrameMaker/Fminit/Config/customui.cfg file in a text editor and add

these lines:

>> <Modify MoveIPToCellAtRight <KeySequence /Right
>>
>> <Modify MoveIPToCellAtLeft <KeySequence /Left >>
>> <Modify
MoveIPToCellAbove <KeySequence /Up >>
>> <Modify MoveIPToCellBelow
<KeySequence /Down >>