What is the recommended way of having a TOC appear in multiple places of a book?

Harro de Jong Harro.deJong at triviewgroup.com
Mon Mar 18 02:20:32 PDT 2013

John Posada wrote

> I have a 1,500+ FM11 book that is divided into two volumes. The book has a TOC
> and Index with both volumes. Both Volume 1 and 2 have covers and the pagination
> starts at 1 for each volume. Everything good. It's also conceivable that I'll eventually
> have Volumes 3, 4, 5, and 6.
>
> Now, I want to put the same TOC in the front of both Volumes and the Index at the
> end of both volume.. What is the suggested approach?

Are both volumes in a single .book file? Or do you have separate .books for each volume?

If it's one book:
1. create the TOC and place it in Volume 1.
2. create an empty file where the TOC for volume 2 should go.
3. In this empty file, place the Volume 1 TOC as a text inset.

If it's two books:
1. create a third book that contains both volumes. Make sure the page numbering settings are consistent with your volumes..
2. add a TOC to this book and generate it.
3. take this TOC and add it to both volumes as an ordinary (non-generated) FM file.

In both cases, you may have to update the book multiple times until all the page numbers are correct.

Harro de Jong
Triview