What is the recommended way of having a TOC appear in multiple places of a book?

David Artman david at davidartman.com
Mon Mar 18 12:03:14 PDT 2013

In Structured FrameMaker:

* Put all the files in one "super book"
* Set the Pagination and Numbering settings, particularly the Volume
settings
* Generate a single TOC and Index for the super book
* Place TOC and Index in both sub-books
* Print to PDF
* Split into separate PDFs in Acrobat

You'll probably want to money with the Index specification, as
multi-book indexing references can be... trying.

This will work in any version of FrameMaker that supports Volume naming
and numbering (7.0+, IIRC).

The Structured method is totally different (and I only know IBMIDDOC's
method, not DITA/FM-XML).

HTH;
David