Paragraph Formats Alternate Reality

Heiko Haida info at heiko-haida.de
Thu Mar 21 10:02:00 PDT 2013

Hi Nancy,

I repeated these actions with one of my files -
everything's ok and fine.

I have FM 10 with all updates on Win XP.

Could you supply the file?

Best regards -

Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Nancy Allison:

> Hi, Harro.
>
> I finally went manually through
each paragraph format and changed the font from TimesNewRoman to Arial
and used Update All and that solved the problem. The system does have
Arial, and most of the paragraphs did not have overrides.

> I did a
further test:

> For clarity: The file that seems impervious to
alterations to paragraph tags, whether through .mif or Import, is
ImperviousFile.

> The file that I use for creating and then
exporting a clean paragraph tag is called AddFormats. In other words, if
I want to modify a paragraph tag in one or more .fm files, I create the
clean tag in AddFormats and then import it from AddFormats into my .fm
files.

> In my test I:
>
> 1. Deleted all paragraph tags from
AddFormats.

> 2. Successfully imported all the paragraph tags from
ImperviousFile.

> 3. Deleted all paragraph tags except Title from
AddFormats. (This is the chapter title para tag.)

> 4. Changed the
color of Title to red.

> 5. Imported para tags only from AddFormats
to ImperviousFile.

> Result: The chapter title did not change color
and the Title para tag did not change attributes!

> I have edited
ImperviousFile and saved it, so it is not locked.

> What the heck is
going on?