global master page changes

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 12:41:06 PDT 2013

Rick's solution assumes that all components of your book use the same page layouts, specifically the exact same header/footer specifications. Otherwise, the update will wipe out the differences. Also, this approach requires you to add/update the version info to each different master page you have defined.

Another approach that is both simpler and more general is to modify all the master pages to include a new User Variable which you define to be whatever version string you need to use. The initial setup is much the same as Rick's solution except that you use a variable rather than an explicit text string. Once the variables are in the headers of all the components, updating the version ID is as simple as redefining the value of the variable one time, in one file and importing only the variable definitions from that one file to all the rest.

-Fred Ridder